Monday, July 6, 2015

Testing God

Testing God

Matthew 4:7  Jesus responded, "The Scriptures also say, 'You must not test the LORD your God.'"

Jesus quotes from Deuteronomy 6:16 in answer to Satan’s temptation for Christ to prove that God is with Him. The command wasn’t really given with Bubba in mind hollering out, “Hey ya’ll watch this!” right before performing some insane, life threatening act of carelessness. Although that could fall under this command the children of Israel tested the Lord in many ways that mirror our own lives today.

The scriptures record the children of Israel testing God in the following ways:

1. By complaining- Exodus 17:2  So once more the people complained against Moses. "Give us water to drink!" they demanded. "Quiet!" Moses replied. "Why are you complaining against me? And why are you testing the LORD?"

2. By doubting his presence with them- Exodus 17:7  Moses named the place Massah (which means "test") and Meribah (which means "arguing") because the people of Israel argued with Moses and tested the LORD by saying, "Is the LORD here with us or not?"

3. By refusing to listen to God's voice- Numbers 14:21-22  But as surely as I live, and as surely as the earth is filled with the LORD's glory,  (22)  not one of these people will ever enter that land. They have all seen My glorious presence and the miraculous signs I performed both in Egypt and in the wilderness, but again and again they have tested Me by refusing to listen to My voice.

4. By demanding their desires be fulfilled- Psalms 78:18  They stubbornly tested God in their hearts, demanding the foods they craved.

5. By not obeying His laws- Psalms 78:56  But they kept testing and rebelling against God Most High. They did not obey His laws.

6. By ignoring all He had done for them Psalms 95:9  For there your ancestors tested and tried My patience, even though they saw everything I did.

7. By not practicing self-control- Psalms 106:14  In the wilderness their desires ran wild, testing God's patience in that dry wasteland.

8. By doubting God's just timing- Malachi 3:15  From now on we will call the arrogant blessed. For those who do evil get rich, and those who dare God to punish them suffer no harm.'"

As a disciple of Jesus Christ who applies His words to our lives we must ask the questions, “Do I complain? Do I doubt His promise to always be with me? Do I refuse to listen to Him? Do I demand that God fulfill my desires? Do I disobey His laws? Do I ignore all the miracles around me or forget all the blessings I’ve already seen? Do I give into whatever desire I have? Do I doubt God’s justice and timing?”

As I study for this blog, I am greatly convicted by how much I complain, doubt and whine when my desires are not fulfilled.


Oh Lord God, You have been amazingly patient with me and I am grateful. Your word tells me that confessing my sin brings your abundant forgiveness. Thank you. Fill me with Your Holy Spirit and let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable, even joyful in Your sight. You are worthy of all praise, honor and glory. Help us to walk in gratefulness, faith, obedience and hope at Your faithfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment