Wednesday, July 1, 2015

FOLLOWING THROUGH

John 8:31-32  Jesus said to the people who believed in Him, "You are truly My disciples if you remain faithful to My teachings.
32  And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."
Mathew 7:24-27  "Anyone who listens to My teaching and follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock.
25 Though the rain comes in torrents and the floodwaters rise and the winds beat against that house, it won't collapse because it is built on bedrock.
26 But anyone who hears My teaching and doesn't obey it is foolish, like a person who builds a house on sand.
27 When the rains and floods come and the winds beat against that house, it will collapse with a mighty crash."

This blog is being written based on the teachings of Jesus Christ. My goal here is to be a disciple of Jesus Christ and to help others be a disciple of Jesus Christ.

DISCLAIMER: I know that all scripture is given by inspiration of God… and I am in no way discounting any of it. So, please do not write me about that. This is not intended to be a thorough study of all of the Word of God. It is intended to help myself and those interested in being disciples of Jesus Christ by reading, meditating on, and applying to our lives, the words of Jesus Christ. That is not to say that we won’t be using other passages to bolster what is taught. It is to say, that for this endeavor that our main focus will be on the Words of Jesus often printed in red letters. Thus, we begin where Father began with me a couple months ago.

One of my Elders challenged me to begin writing a daily devotional for our congregation. In a time of prayer I kept hearing the words, “Red Letter Discipleship.” After discussing this with my dear friend, confidant and wife (all the same person) we prayed further and felt impressed this was direction from our Lord. In prayer and study Father took me to the two passages above and so here are some thoughts on these passages.

Jesus made it clear that to be His disciple one must “remain faithful to” His “teachings.” (John 8:31) And according to verse 32, if we remain faithful to His teachings we will “know the truth” which will set us “free.” We are told in John 14:6 that Jesus is indeed the “Truth.” So, in following, abiding in and remaining in His teachings you get to know Him better and better and that sets you free. Free from sin, free to be part of the family of God, free to live a truly abundant life.

According to Matthew 7:24-27 it is the wise, those deemed wise by God, who listen to the teaching of Christ and follow it. The foolish, again deemed so by God, do not follow Jesus’ teaching. Note: both the wise and foolish heard the teaching, but only the wise follow through, apply to their lives what is being taught.


So, I lay before you questions. Will you choose to follow through? Will you apply His words to your life? Will you get to really know Jesus and experience the freedom He speaks of?

No comments:

Post a Comment