Wednesday, October 28, 2015

20151028 HIS EYE IS ON THE SPARROW

HIS EYE IS ON THE SPARROW

Matthew 10:26-31 "But don't be afraid of those who threaten you. For the time is coming when everything that is covered will be revealed, and all that is secret will be made known to all.  (27)  What I tell you now in the darkness, shout abroad when daybreak comes. What I whisper in your ear, shout from the housetops for all to hear!  (28)  "Don't be afraid of those who want to kill your body; they cannot touch your soul. Fear only God, who can destroy both soul and body in hell.  (29)  What is the price of two sparrows—one copper coin? But not a single sparrow can fall to the ground without your Father knowing it.  (30)  And the very hairs on your head are all numbered.  (31)  So don't be afraid; you are more valuable to God than a whole flock of sparrows.

Don’t be afraid. Tell the world what Jesus has done for you. Proclaim His goodness from the house tops.

Again He points out the cost of proclaiming the Good News, there will be those who will want to kill us. But He gives a reminder and an encouragement.

The Reminder: Though our bodies are fragile and can be destroyed our souls are indestructible by human means. Fear of those who cannot destroy our souls is misplaced fear. I like how the Message Bible puts this, “Save your fear for God, who holds your entire life--body and soul--in his hands.”

The Encouragement: His eye is on the sparrow. There’s an old hymn with that title and I remember we sang it often in our little country church where I grew up. It was a favorite of my mothers who, for years was the church organist. So, when I’m having a rough day I still sing that song as a reminder of God’s love. So far my rough days haven’t included floggings, arrests, nor death threats, but the encouragement is for all God’s children regardless of their lot in life. He sees every tiny sparrow and not one falls that He doesn’t know about it. How much more He cares for you. He has every hair on your head counted. He knows what you are facing today.

One verse in that song says: “Why should I feel discouraged? Why should the shadows come? Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heaven and home, When Jesus is my portion, my constant friend is He?” –Public Domain.

Jesus is my portion and He is my friend. Can you say that with certainty? I declare to you that He loves you and wants to be that friend.

Verse 31 starts out, “Don’t be afraid.” I’m reminded of 1 John 4:17-18 And as we live in God, our love grows more perfect. So we will not be afraid on the day of judgment, but we can face Him with confidence because we live like Jesus here in this world.  (18)  Such love has no fear, because perfect love expels all fear. If we are afraid, it is for fear of punishment, and this shows that we have not fully experienced His perfect love.

So, if you’re going to have fear, fear God, but know this. As you grow in your understanding of Him, His perfect love will replace all fear.


Father in heaven, give us more understanding of Who You are. Grow Your perfect love in our hearts. Lift away the fear of bodily destruction in this life and help us to live in faith trusting You with our eternal souls. May we, with the apostle Paul, boldly say, “I know the One in whom I trust, and I am sure that He is able to guard what I have entrusted to Him until the day of His return.” (2Timothy 1:12b) In Jesus Name, AMEN!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment