Tuesday, September 29, 2015

20150929 BE INTERRUPTIBLE, BE ENCOURAGED, HANG IN THERE

BE INTERRUPTIBLE, BE ENCOURAGED, HANG IN THERE

Matthew 9:20-22 Just then a woman who had suffered for twelve years with constant bleeding came up behind Him. She touched the fringe of His robe, (21) for she thought, "If I can just touch His robe, I will be healed." (22) Jesus turned around, and when He saw her He said, "Daughter, be encouraged! Your faith has made you well." And the woman was healed at that moment.

Jesus is on His way to raise the daughter of a synagogue leader when He is interrupted by a sick woman. She had no intention of getting any attention for herself except healing, but she got so much more. She got a glimpse of the compassionate Savior.

1.  She saw that He, Jesus is interruptible. I heard a man pray that one day. He said something like this, “Lord, give us interruptible hearts. Let us see the delays of life, the inconveniences, the detours as opportunities to see someone who needs a touch or an encouraging word from You. And may we be the conduit through which You meet those needs.”
2.  She saw Jesus see her. He saw all the suffering she had endured. Mark tells us that she had suffered many things from doctors and that she had spent all she had trying to find a cure. Jesus knew all this in a single moment. He could see it and He could see her faith. “If I can just touch His robe…”

If you have ever had an extended illness you know what it is to face discouragement. I spent 10 years on Lortabs and other narcotics dealing with severe and, at times, crippling pain in my lower back. Every time we would see another doctor we got the same news. “I can’t see anything on X-rays or MRIs that would cause this problem. Let’s try therapy and more medication.” There were a couple times that God touched me and I received a partial healing. I won’t go into all the details here, but those touches carried me through until in 2004 I had back surgery for a slipped disc. While the surgeon was fixing that he discovered a bone spur that was hidden from all our present technology. When I woke from that surgery I had immediate relief I hadn’t known in years.

I share that to say, be encouraged. Illness can be so mentally, spiritually and physically fatiguing. Hang in there. Keep the faith. Keep reaching for the hem of His garment. He sees you. Don’t give up.

3.  She saw herself as a daughter. Often sickness makes us feel abandoned, but He called her, "Daughter." He had not forgotten her. 
4. She saw encouragement that her faith in Jesus paid off in the end.


Father in heaven, grant that we may remain faithful to trust You and to keep reaching for the blessings You have available to us. And I repeat what my friend said, “Lord, give us interruptible hearts. Let us see the delays of life, the inconveniences, the detours as opportunities to see someone who needs a touch or an encouraging word from You. And may we be the conduit through which You meet those needs.” In Jesus Name, AMEN!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment