Wednesday, August 12, 2015

20150812 ENOUGH

ENOUGH

Matthew 6:11 Give us today the food we need,

I never quote this part without hearing the words of Agur. Proverbs 30:7-9 O God, I beg two favors from You; let me have them before I die.  (8)  First, help me never to tell a lie. Second, give me neither poverty nor riches! Give me just enough to satisfy my needs.  (9)  For if I grow rich, I may deny You and say, "Who is the LORD?" And if I am too poor, I may steal and thus insult God's holy name.

This part of the model prayer says, “Give us enough.” It is important to note that Jesus taught the disciples to pray for “us” not “me.” The prayer starts with the plural pronoun, “Our” and here we are praying for “us” to have enough. Un-selfish prayers are prayers that include the welfare of all. This reminds me that we are our brother’s and our sister’s keeper. We should be concerned about whether or not they have enough as well.

Enough… Enough to meet the needs of the day. The Greek word used here could actually be translated, “tomorrow.” Even if that is the case the prayer is for the immediate day or so, not for weeks and months ahead. This keeps us coming back to our Father each day. It also keeps us from joining the foolishness of the rich man with too many crops… Luke 12:17-19 He said to himself, 'What should I do? I don't have room for all my crops.'  (18)  Then he said, 'I know! I'll tear down my barns and build bigger ones. Then I'll have room enough to store all my wheat and other goods.  (19)  And I'll sit back and say to myself, "My friend, you have enough stored away for years to come. Now take it easy! Eat, drink, and be merry!"'

That man’s end was miserable and swift. He died that very night. How much better, when we are blessed with abundance, to ask, “Father, what am I to do with this blessing? Who needs it? Who shall I bless in Your Holy Name?” Oh, the rich man asked some questions, but he asked them of himself. As believers we are to walk in the Spirit with our Heavenly Father. Carry on conversation with Him. Ask direction of Him.

Father in Heaven, today give us what we need, and perhaps more to share if You would trust us to be conduits of Your blessing. In Jesus Name, AMEN!!!


A SHAMELESS PLUG: For some time Fairview Baptist Church in Kokomo has been giving support to Our Father’s Home orphanage in Lahore, Pakistan. Presently they have 36 children they care for. It cost $400 a month to feed the children. Our goal is to be able to feed the children every month for the coming year. That would be a total of $4800. On September 26 at 5 PM our Cowboy Church Band will be hosting a Special Request and Open Mic Night. We will be receiving offerings that night and it will all go to Our Father’s Home Orphanage. If you would like to donate, but are unable to attend you may give through our donation button at the bottom of the church web page found here. When donating this way be sure to click the special instructions to the church link which will show up right before you okay the donation. From that link you can let us know that your donation is for the orphanage children. God bless and keep you. --Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment